Guiding Question:Collaborative: Students will understand how the constitution tries to protect its citizens by reading primary sources, annotating, and answering questions with at least 80% accuracy.
Independent: Students will understand the system of checks and balances by reading and answering questions with at least 80% accuracy.
8.3.7 Describe the principles of federalism, dual sovereignty, separation of powers, checks and balances, the nature and purpose of majority rule, and the ways in which the American idea of constitutionalism preserves individual rights.
RH.6-8.2 - Determine the central ideas or information of a primary or secondary sourceW.8.1 - Write arguments to support claims with clear reasons and relevant evidence
Do Now (Voice Level 0) 5 minutes:
1. Why is it important to have a leader in government?
2. What is one negative thing that can happen when one leader has all the power?
The Constitution and Tyranny notes
Independent (Voice Level 0) 45 minutes:
Task 2: Watch this video
- Work on homework for another class
- Read a NewsELA, CNN, or Achieve article
- Practice your typing
- Read a book
Collaborative (Voice Level .5) 45 minutes:
1. Tyranny & the Constitution Primary Sources
Exit Ticket (Voice Level 0) 5 minutes:
Finish DBQ packet